A workshop within the Machine Wilderness programme, by Ivan Henriques.
Symbiotic Systems is a design exercise to explore how to adapt a machine to natural systems, with focus in the specific landscape from Amstelpark.
We'll brainstorm with the participants about the needs and functions of a bio-robotic structure inspired by the park’s landscape. Investigate how the relationship between this hybrid system and the resources and opportunities the park offers and re-think about a different equation: how to adapt machines to natural systems, looking at the environment as a partner from which we can learn to attempt to communicate with the living and non-living environment.
Concepts of post-humanism and autopoiesis will be the basis of the workshop.
Sign up: firstname.lastname@example.org – before April 01
Max 10 participants (please include a short motivation)
Day 01 - fri 29 April, morning:
• Explanation about Ivan Henriques’ works: Bio-Machine evolution
• Presentation of the participants
• Discussion about the workshop and final goal
• Division of the groups
Material: paper A3, pen, pencil, colour pen
Day 01 - fri 29 April, afternoon:
• Groups explore Amstelpark
• Bring/discuss ideas
• Map Amstelpark and the group will underline on the map their choices of places
Material: Printed map from Amstelpark (size A0), thumbtacks, thin ropes (different colours), pen, pencil, colour pen, stickers (different colours)
Day 02 first part - sat 30 April:
• Discussion with their team and myself the design of the bio-robotic structure for their specific place
• Participants design & prototype robotic structure
Day 02 second part - sat 30 April: (if confirmed the participation from Laser Lab Amsterdam)
• workshop with Laser Lab Amsterdam (bio-solar cells)
• discuss about other possible energy sources
More details online at machinewilderness/workshops/